Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Do you shampoo?

I've been using the "no-poo" method for washing my hair for a while now. I believe my longest shampoo-free streak was close to 5 or 6 months. Crazy right?!? 10 years ago, I would have thought this was disgusting. 5 years ago, I would have thought this was a bit too "crunchy" for me. =) Amazing how we change, huh?

While I was out of town I used 365 brand shampoo, Whole Foods brand, because I forgot my baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I have such a sensitive scalp that even that bothered me since I've been "no-pooing" for so long. I was really looking forward to coming home and getting back into my normal "shampoo" routine. The Whole Foods brand doesn't allow parabens, synthetic fragrances, polypropylene and polyethylene glycols, sodium lauryl and laureth sulfates, which is why chose it before I went to a "no-poo" method.

Have you been considering a change? I really like what using the baking soda does for my hair. It curls better and I have longer times between washing, which is a big plus for me because my scalp can't handle being washed everyday. Another great incentive...it's CHEAP!! Why does shampoo have to be so expensive? I'm pretty sure 2 boxes of Target brand baking soda and a gallon bottle of acv cost me $5 or $6. That has lasted me forever. I even just recently found some condiment bottles at Walmart for a couple of dollars and I'm now using them for my "shampoo" and "conditioner". =) So, if you're curious and would like to try, here is the very simple routine that I follow!


All you need is:
  • 1 tbsp of baking soda (shampoo)
  • 1 tbsp of acv (conditioner)
  • 2 cups or squeeze type bottles
  • water from the shower head

Once I'm ready to use one, I put it under the shower head and fill the container about 3/4 the way up, I put the lid on and shake! I put the "shampoo" all around my hairline and make sure to work it in as I'm applying it. Then I give a good squirt in the middle and work it in as well. After that, I rinse it all out and put just a bit of the "conditioner" on my ends, from about the middle down. I don't really need it near the roots much. Then I rinse it. That's it! 

This is really easy to customize once you try it and figure out your needs. You may end up with dry hair or scalp and need more of or a stronger mixture of the acv. If you have really oily hair then you will probably need the same of the baking soda. I know there are a lot of different recipes out there but this was the simplest of them and I'm all for anything that makes my life easier.  

So do you "no-poo" or shampoo? Do you have a different recipe that you use? Share! I'd love to hear what works for others! =)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I'm definitely going to try it out. I love natural concoctions! Years ago when I was into reading Teen and YM magazine (am I aging myself?lol) I tried some DIY treatments but haven't tried anything since... I've rinsed with white vinegar, applied egg, and another time mayo. The mayo smell gagged me and I can't remember how the egg worked out. The vinegar was too strong smelling for me at the time but now I use vinegar for all kinds of household uses so it probably wouldn't bother me at all. Seems like the ACV would be less strong smelling. I'll let you know how it goes for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I remember all those. There is no way I would be able to handle the mayo or egg. :/ I thought the vinegar would be too much, but like you, I've been using it all over the house so I barely notice it anymore. =)

      Delete